This weeks post is brought to you by my inspiration from several books that gave me so much motivation and inspiration to begin and continue a holistic lifestyle. Of course, there are more books that played a role in my journey thus far, but way too many to list here or speak to in my new YouTube video.
Listed below are the top 5 books and brief descriptions of them that influenced me on my healing journey:
1. Mind Over Medicine - Lissa Rankin, M.D. This was one of the first books I read that was in the health and wellness realm. I really enjoyed it because it was scienftic based, but not boring by any means. Essentially Lissa Rankin is a medical doctor who was not feeling well and neither her or her collegues could not figure out what was wrong. That didn't sit well with her and she knew there had to be another way. She talks about things such as what happens in the womb matters which got me to dig deeper into learning about what significant things happened to my mom while she was pregnant and me, that I was born a C-section, and was quite sick as a child. She also talks about psychology of emotion which really intrigued me. In addition, she allows you to be your own doctor and write your own prescription because YOU KNOW YOUR BODY BEST!
2. The Gerson Therapy - Charlotte Gerson & Morton Walker D.P.M.
I am so grateful I came across this book as well as a similar documentary. The Gerson Therapy is based upon two things that make us sick: toxicity & deficiency. The book then goes into talking in more detail about things that can make us sick that fall into those two categories mentioned above and ways you can improve your health and help chronic conditions through diet and nutrition. The Gerson Therapy is big on coffee enemas. If you are not familiar with what enemas are, it is when you gently flush your colon with water, probiotic rich water, or coffee. I have actually done quite a few coffee enemas, so leave a comment if you would like to learn more about them!
3. A New Earth - Eckhart Tolle
I randomly picked this book up at an airport on my way to visit my dad one summer. I tried to read it on the plane but the words were just not resonating with me. I could not for the life of me figure out what Eckhart was saying. It makes sense to me now, because I wasn't ready for that information at the time. However, I have now read this book several times and it is a game changer. Eckhart talks about letting go of the ego or egoic-mind and just be here in the now. "A New Earth" is the updated version from his other book "The Power of Now," which I also really love and enjoy (I am actually enjoying listening to on Audible, The Power of Now). This book got me in touch with my though patterns and allowed me to explore my upbringing and how to incorporate change. Another big takeaway I had from this book was that we are not our thoughts, we are the perceiver of our thoughts.
4. The Anatomy of Spirit - Carolyn Myss, PH.D.
Carolyn Myss is a medical intuitive and reads peoples energy systems to diagnose what is wrong with them. She was been doing it for so long and is able to speak about it so fluently. In this book The Anatomy of the Spirit, Carolyn talks about her journey of becoming a medical intuitive and that we are all energy. She teaches us in this book about the energy systems in the body and how throughout time and religion there is the understanding and universal law that there are seven energy centres. I really enjoy anything energy related and this opened the door for me to get my reiki level II as well as become a 200 hour registered yoga teacher!
5. You Can Heal Your Life - Louise Hay
I cannot even say enough about this book, it is like my bible. I have had it for at least six years and it is a book I come back to over and over. It has gotten to the point that I will just flip it open to a page and read it and it is exactly what I needed to read or hear. Louise Hay was abused as a child and started a set of thought patterns that she believed got her diagnosed with cancer. She forwent conventional treatment and by changing her though patterns, meditation, positive affirmations, and nutrition she healed herself within six months of her diagnosis. She therefore made a list of different ailments/conditions, their probable cause, and then their new thought pattern. I found on that chart where it stated "joints" or "arthritis" and read the probable cause and then wrote on a sticky note the new thought pattern that I wanted to manifest (watch my YouTube video for a visual on how the chart looks and which one I recently wrote down. This book really helped me and continues to help me on my healing journey.
Thank you very much for being here and either reading this blog post or watching my YouTube video, I appreciate you. Stay tuned for next weeks blog post/video about an all natural hair mask to grow thick, strong, and long hair!